We’re looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We’re building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution to offer a broad range of investment products in their apps. Our view is backed by Europe's largest tech VCs (Earlybird, Notion Capital, Partech, HV Capital, ABN AMRO Ventures) and by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow).
We’re based in Berlin but would consider hiring remotely for this role. If you do want to move to Berlin though, we’re happy to support your relocation. For lead roles, it would be beneficial to be able to travel to head office regularly for any important workshops and meetings.
At Upvest, our vision is to make investing as easy as spending money. By enabling any business to offer investment opportunities, our goal is to empower anyone to invest. Today, we count 100+ talented people from 20 different countries.
Ops Tooling and Automation team's mission:
The team designs and builds all the internal tooling apps for our Ops and CS colleagues to be able to operate all the bank processes. This tooling is planned, designed, and implemented together with stakeholders from those departments. This tooling can take many forms from web applications to chat bots to things we haven't even considered yet. The team owns the vision for helping us automate as much of these processes as we can.
As a Tech Lead, you will join and take ownership of our Ops Tooling team in the Tooling domain. This is a People Lead type role meaning that it comes with line management duties of the engineers in the team. You will report to the Head of Tooling.
You will lead the engineering team and be accountable for its delivery. You will work closely with your product counterparts in planning the priorities and focus of work for the team. Together with them you will lead the team. Product is responsible for the “what” and the “why” whereas you are responsible for the “how” and “how long does it take”
You will enable and empower your team to deliver what we need. You will set objectives together with your direct Lead. You have a supportive and coaching attitude towards your team members. You will help them thrive. Leading by example you will set standards to ensure delivery of decoupled, event-driven, robust, secure, resilient, and observable systems in your team. You will collaborate with the CTO, Heads of Engineering as well as your Tech Lead peers in aligning on architecture, design and plans, agreeing on best practices and ways of working. You will be working on a greenfield project with cutting-edge technologies and no legacy code.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Help build a modern Cloud native investment bank and API-platform and the tooling for our internal colleagues to operate it
- Gain valuable experience in a high-security, high-stakes and high-growth FinTech environment
- Hands on developer experience at Senior level with perhaps some team leading experience already. Industry experience for 5+ years
- Good architectural vision and distributed systems design experience. Ability to see the big picture and create the right level of abstractions
- Good people and communication skills
- Planning and prioritisation skills. Focus on what matters
- Stakeholder management skills. Ability to discuss difficult technical topics with non-technical stakeholders
- Taking ownership and owning the outcome
- Prior experience with event-driven distributed systems
- Prior experience with Cloud computing (ideally with GCP)
- High level of pragmatism
Nice to have:
- Experience working in the FinTech domain
- Knowledge of our modern tech-stack (Go, Docker, K8S, LinkerD, Postgres, Kafka, Redis, OpenAPI, AsyncAPI, gRPC), SRE, service meshes, API gateways, and observability. Modern web frontend technologies.
- We're working on solving a hard problem: fixing the European securities financial infrastructure that empowers more people to be able to invest. You have the opportunity to contribute to this change.
- We invest in you. From access to a personal coach, development budget, and plenty of opportunities to grow in your role.
- We take hiring seriously with a strong focus on keeping a high bar when interviewing (equally important is that we also hire decent people who are passionate about their craft and helping us achieve our shared mission).
- While we're not quite fully remote, we are committed to being a flexible employer as we understand you don't have to be in the office to do your best work.
- We live a culture of empowerment, trust (that we hire the best people and get out of their way), and openness (there's a greater advantage in sharing information than keeping it to ourselves).
- Everyone is an owner. Every employee becomes a part-owner via our options program.
- Learn and grow. We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback knowing that we develop together. Progression > Perfection.
- Team first. We make it easy for others. We value our differences and are open to others' opinions. We win and celebrate together! Team > Egos.
- Own the outcome. Whether we win or we lose, we stand together. We are proactive and get the job done. Outcome > Process.
- Tell the story. We always start with the why. We share knowledge to empower others. Transparency > Complexity.