We’re looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We’re building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution to offer a broad range of investment products in their apps. Our view is backed by Europe's largest tech VCs (Earlybird, Notion Capital, Partech, HV Capital, ABN AMRO Ventures) by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow) and Bessemer Venture Partners in the USA.
We’re based in Berlin but would consider hiring remotely for this role. If you do want to move to Berlin though, we’re happy to support your relocation.
At Upvest, our vision is to make investing as easy as spending money. By enabling any business to offer investment opportunities, our goal is to empower anyone to invest. Today, we count 100+ talented people from 30 different countries.
This is a brand-new role at Upvest Engineering at the Staff level. You’ll have the chance to create the role from the start, and make it your own. We are not looking for a traditional Quality Assurance (QA) engineer but rather for an Engineer in Test, i.e. a software engineer who develops software for testing: tools, frameworks, and automated tests, and mentors and evangelizes others. You will set the direction, develop proofs of concept, develop and own frameworks, and help domain developers adhere to our quality standards. You’ll also need a good understanding of security best practices. An Engineer in Test is to us a developer at heart who focuses on quality and testing aspects. Therefore, a successful candidate will need to be able to work with our Go codebase hands-on and demonstrate professional experience with at least one programming language, be comfortable with evangelizing ideas and mentoring others.
As a Staff Engineer in Test, you’ll drive the quality mindset into our product engineering teams. You’ll collaborate with domain teams in setting up best practices, and good test coverage, and help them in automating testing processes. You’ll foster a culture of quality and security first, helping teams in building services that are loosely coupled, robust and resilient, secure, and observable but most of all testable and maintainable. You have a supportive and coaching attitude towards working with other engineers. You are a developer yourself. The goal is to have enough safety net for teams within a continuous delivery model to be confident that all areas of functionality are covered. This role does not belong to any specific Product Engineering team but works on the department level, collaborating with all teams. The role reports to the Head of Delivery. You’ll be working on a greenfield project with cutting-edge technologies and no legacy code
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Help build a modern Cloud Native investment bank and API platform.
- Gain valuable experience in a high-security, high-stakes, and high-growth FinTech environment.
- Establish a new role with wide reach across the Engineering department and beyond.
- Hands-on developer experience at the Senior level. Industry experience for 8+ years.
- Knowledge of our modern tech stack (Go, Docker, K8S, Linkerd, PostgreSQL, Kafka), SRE, service meshes, API gateways, and observability.
- Hands-on experience in testing at all levels from unit testing through integration testing to end-to-end testing.
- An understanding of security best practices and how they apply to software testing.
- Good analytical skills and the ability to grasp a complex distributed system and its overall functionality. Ability to see the big picture.
- Good people and communication skills.
- Planning and prioritization skills. Focus on what matters.
- Stakeholder management skills. Ability to discuss difficult technical topics with non-technical stakeholders.
- Taking ownership and owning the outcome.
- Prior experience with event-driven distributed systems.
- Prior experience with cloud computing (ideally with GCP)
- High level of pragmatism
Nice to have:
- Experience working in the FinTech domain
- Experience as a software architect, shaping the technical direction for a bigger group of developers and mentoring them to gain skills where needed.
- We're working on solving a hard problem: fixing the European securities financial infrastructure that empowers more people to be able to invest. You have the opportunity to contribute to this change.
- We invest in you. From access to a personal coach, a development budget, and plenty of opportunities to grow in your role.
- We take hiring seriously with a strong focus on keeping a high bar when interviewing (equally important is that we hire decent people, who are passionate about their craft and helping us achieve our shared mission).
- While we're not quite fully remote, we are committed to being a flexible employer, as we understand you don't have to be in the office to do your best work.
- We live in a culture of empowerment, trust (that we hire the best people and get out of their way), and openness (there's a greater advantage in sharing information than keeping it to ourselves).
- Learn and grow. We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback knowing that we develop together. Progression over Perfection.
- Team first. We make it easy for others. We value our differences and are open to others' opinions. We win and celebrate together! Team over Egos.
- Own the outcome. Whether we win or we lose, we stand together. We are proactive and get the job done. Outcome over Process.
- Tell the story. We always start with the why. We share knowledge to empower others. Transparency over Complexity.