We’re looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We’re building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution to offer a broad range of investment products in their apps. Our view is backed by Europe's largest tech VCs (Earlybird, Notion Capital, Partech, HV Capital, ABN AMRO Ventures) by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow) and Bessemer Venture Partners in the USA.
We’re based in Berlin based hybrid remote. If you do want to move to Berlin though, we’re happy to support your relocation.
At Upvest, our vision is to make investing as easy as spending money. By enabling any business to offer investment opportunities, our goal is to empower anyone to invest. Today, we count 100+ talented people from 30 different countries.
We are seeking a senior backend engineer with a product mindset. Your tasks include building new and improving existing functionalities by working together with the team to find out the best ways to solve the problem at hand, implementing the planned features, improving the reliability of the services and helping the other team members to grow further.
Our team owns two domains: Taxes and Corporate Actions:
- We enable the users of the API to handle their taxes accurately and transparently. Investors have to pay taxes following certain rules, and the tax payments must be accurate, on time and correct. Upvest’s Taxes team owns the tax system, which handles the payments and calculations according to these requirements. Also, as the taxes vary between regions and the taxation rules change over the years, so the system has to be planned and built in an extendable way.
- We ensure that the users of the API get the full benefit of the corporate actions affecting their instruments, and that they get processed accurately within the time limits. Corporate actions, such as dividends, stocks splits and mergers, are one of the key elements of the stock investments. As the product and the range of the instruments supported is growing fast, the team needs to constantly prioritise what to build next. It also needs to be done in a forward-looking fashion to allow supporting even the exotic edge cases later on.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
Work with the cutting edge technologies (Go is the primary language, PostgreSQL for data storage) without a legacy codebase
- Design and build fault-tolerant, horizontally scalable systems. Using Microservice architecture powered by Docker, Kubernetes, Linkerd service mesh, and Kong as a Gateway
- Build event-driven applications using Kafka
- Work on different aspects of our API-product portfolio as part of the development team
- Develop data processing and storing mechanisms
- Work on improving the reliability of our API tools, as well as developing completely new approaches
- Work with an agile methodology with flexible processes, that focus on helping the engineering teams be more effective in their work
- Gain deep understanding about the general FinTech industry and taxes and corporate actions domains
What you’ll bring:
Hands-on developer experience at the Senior level
- Product mindset
- Extensive industry experience
- Good architectural vision and distributed systems design experience - ability to see the big picture and create the right level of abstractions
- Experience in balancing between building features and managing existing tech debt
- Experience in Go (or willingness to make Go your day-to-day language)
- Fluency with SQL databases such as PostgreSQL (transaction isolation, performance optimization)
- Fluency with event-driven architecture and concurrent algorithms
- Being proactive in learning new stacks and having a high sense of ownership
It’s nice if you have:
Experience with Investment products or Fintech domain in general is a big plus
- Experience in event-driven architectures, event streaming and event sourcing systems.
- Experience with Docker, k8s, understanding principles of a service mesh
- Experience with Monitoring and Tracing using Datadog or other modern observability tools
- We're working on solving a hard problem: fixing the European securities financial infrastructure that empowers more people to be able to invest. You have the opportunity to contribute to this change.
- We invest in you. From access to a personal coach, development budget and plenty of opportunities to grow in your role.
- We take hiring seriously with a strong focus on keeping a high bar when interviewing (equally important is that we hire decent people, who are passionate about their craft and helping us achieve our shared mission).
- While we're not quite fully-remote, we are committed to being a flexible employer, as we understand you don't have to be in the office to do your best work.
- We live a culture of empowerment, trust (that we hire the best people and get out of their way) and openness (there's a greater advantage in sharing information than keeping it to ourselves).
Learn and grow. We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback knowing that we develop together. Progression over Perfection.
Team first. We make it easy for others. We value our differences and are open to others' opinions. We win and celebrate together! Team over Egos.
Own the outcome. Whether we win or we lose, we stand together. We are proactive and get the job done. Outcome over Process.
Tell the story. We always start with the why. We share knowledge to empower others. Transparency over Complexity.