Upvest, founded in 2017, enables any financial institution to offer great investment experiences to its customers. Upvest is an investment firm regulated by the German supervision authority (BaFin). The company currently employs 160+ people across Europe with its headquarters based in Berlin, Germany.
The company is backed by the world’s largest venture capital funds and investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, BlackRock, Earlybird, HV Capital, Notion Capital, and ABN Amro Ventures, as well as by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow).
We’re looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We’re building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution offering a wide range of efficient and transparent investment products, such as stocks and ETFs in nominal, portfolio, and fractional form. Our mission and vision is to make investing as easy as spending money.
We’re based in Berlin but would consider hiring remotely in Germany for this role. If you do want to move to Berlin though, we’re happy to support your relocation.
We are seeking a backend engineer with a product mindset. Your tasks include everything from working together with the team to find out the best ways to solve the problem at hand to implementing and developing the functionality further.
In this role, you’ll be working in the Taxes Product Engineering team. The team provides a central part of Upvest’s core offering and is located in the Investments & Custody Solutions Tribe.
Currently, our B2B clients and their users from across Europe are onboarding at Upvest. Thus, the mission of the Taxes Product Engineering team is to serve our clients and their end-users with localized and automated tax functionality. Your team makes sure that all relevant taxes for selected jurisdictions are processed 100% reliably and are presented in a readily comprehensible manner. This way, our B2B clients can focus on their main business objectives and their users can fully concentrate on their investments. Neither our clients nor their users have to worry about the complex topic of taxes anymore, you and your team will take care of this.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Designing and building fault-tolerant, horizontally scalable systems using Microservice architecture powered by Docker, Kubernetes, LinkerD service mesh, and Kong as a Gateway
- Building event-driven applications using Kafka
- Working on different aspects of our API-product portfolio
- Developing data processing and storing mechanisms
- Working on improving the reliability of our API tools, as well as developing innovative new tools
- Working with an agile methodology with flexible processes
- Working with cutting-edge technologies (Go is the primary language) without a legacy codebase
- Learn what it is like to work in a growing FinTech startup, and gain an understanding of the corporate actions domain
- Prior experience with distributed systems
- Experience in Go (or willingness to make Go your day-to-day language)
- Fluency with SQL databases such as PostgreSQL (transaction isolation, performance optimization)
- Fluency with event-driven architecture and concurrent algorithms
- Being proactive in learning new stacks and having a high sense of ownership
It’s nice if you have:
- Experience with Investment products or the Fintech domain, in general, is a big plus
- Experience in event-driven architectures, event streaming, and event sourcing systems.
- Experience with Docker, k8s, understanding principles of a service mesh
- Experience with Monitoring and Tracing using Datadog or other modern observability tools
Greenfield projects. We’re building something quite complex and a first in Europe. This means we’re working with cutting-edge technologies and with no legacy code.
Wellbeing. At Upvest, everyone has access to our in-house coach where you can have regular sessions to support you personally and professionally.
Development. In keeping with one of our core values, ‘Learn and Grow’, every Upvenger has access to a development budget. In line with one of our other values, ‘Own the Outcome’, how you choose to make the most of it, is up to you.
Flexibility. We work in a hybrid setup with the team distributed around Germany and Europe. We give you the choice (and budget) to spend your time where you are most comfortable and productive, either at home or the office. You choose.
Learn and grow. We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback knowing that we develop together. Progression over Perfection.
Team first. We make it easy for others. We value our differences and are open to others' opinions. We win and celebrate together! Team over Egos.
Own the outcome. Whether we win or we lose, we stand together. We are proactive and get the job done. Outcome over Process.
Tell the story. We always start with the why. We share knowledge to empower others. Transparency over Complexity.
Upvest is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees