Backend Engineer, Data & Reporting (f/m/d)
We’re looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We’re building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution to offer a broad range of investment products in their apps. Our view is backed by Europe's largest tech VCs (Earlybird, Notion Capital, Partech, HV Capital, ABN AMRO Ventures) and by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow).
We’re based in Berlin but would consider hiring remotely for this role. If you do want to move to Berlin though, we’re happy to support your relocation.
At Upvest, our vision is to make investing as easy as spending money
. By enabling any business to offer investment opportunities, our goal is to empower anyone to invest. Today, we count 50+ talented people from 20 different countries.
Data & Reporting team's mission
Data & Reporting teams are a crucial part of the platform. They provide all the data that other parts of the platform need to operate, for example, the list of instruments available at various exchanges, their current and historic prices, as well as corporate actions. Further, they also take care of all the regulatory reporting that we are obliged to do as an investment bank. This does not only include generating transaction statements for our client’s end-users, it also includes tax accounting and reporting to authorities.
As a Backend Engineer in one of the Data & Reporting teams, you will contribute to building scalable and event-driven services that enable other teams at Upvest to do their job by sourcing, processing, and exposing all the data and information they need. You will also build services that react to events happening in other domains within Upvest to, for instance, do tax accounting, reconciliation, or reporting. Being correct and consistent when doing all of this is key. Extending and improving our public API will be part of your mission, too.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Design and build fault-tolerant, horizontally scalable systems. Using Microservice architecture powered by Docker, Kubernetes, Linkerd service mesh, and Kong as a Gateway
- Build event-driven applications using Kafka
- Work on different aspects of our API-product portfolio as part of the development team
- Develop data processing and storing mechanisms
- Work on improving the reliability of our API tools, as well as developing innovative tools
- Work with an agile methodology with flexible processes, that focus on helping the engineering teams be more effective in their work
- Work with the cutting edge technologies (Go is the primary language) without legacy codebase
- Prior experience with distributed systems
Willingness to make Go your day-to-day language (production experience is not strictly required)
Fluency with SQL databases such as PostgreSQL, transaction isolation, performance optimization
Fluency with event-driven architecture and concurrent algorithms
Be proactive in learning new stacks and have a high sense of taking ownership
Excited to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
Nice to have:
- Experience with Investment products or Fintech domain in general is a big plus
- Experience with Docker, k8s, understanding principles of a service mesh
- Experience with Monitoring and Tracing using Datadog
- We're working on solving a hard problem: fixing the European securities financial infrastructure that empowers more people to be able to invest. You have the opportunity to contribute to this change.
- We invest in you. From access to a personal coach, development budget, and plenty of opportunities to grow in your role.
- We take hiring seriously with a strong focus on keeping a high bar when interviewing (equally important is that we also hire decent people who are passionate about their craft and helping up achieve our shared mission).
- While we're not quite fully remote, we are committed to being a flexible employer as we understand you don't have to be in the office to do your best work.
- We live a culture of empowerment, trust (that we hire the best people and get out of their way), and openness (there's a greater advantage in sharing information than keeping it to ourselves).
Learn and grow. We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback knowing that we develop together. Progression > Perfection.
Team first. We make it easy for others. We value our differences and are open to others' opinions. We win and celebrate together! Team > Egos.
Own the outcome. Whether we win or we lose, we stand together. We are proactive and get the job done. Outcome > Process.
Tell the story. We always start with the why. We share knowledge to empower others. Transparency > Complexity.